New Year, New Travel Nursing Goals
It’s easy to wake up each day and go through the motions of a routine, but for a satisfying travel nursing career, it’s important to have professional goals. If you’re not moving forward, you risk standing still. As you move into the new year, ask yourself what goals you have for your career. Consider what you want to accomplish in 2022. What are you going to do to make things happen? A little goal setting goes a long way.
Why goal setting is so important
Setting goals is fundamental to a rewarding life and continued satisfaction in your career. If you don’t have anything to strive for, you end up putting your brain on autopilot and going through the same motions every day. Goal setting breaks the monotony and gives you something to work for every day. It’s the engagement your brain craves.
If you’re the type of person to set a New Years’ resolution, goal setting is just one step further. Yes, there is a difference. Goals are measurable, trackable improvements geared toward a specific objective. Resolutions are more about things you can incorporate into your life. While it’s important to use both, goal setting means looking at the bigger picture and identifying specific aims to shape your life and career on a trajectory of your choosing.
How to set good goals this year
What are your goals this year? Do you want to pursue a specialty? Save a specific amount of money? Learn a skill you’ve yet to master? Whatever your goals are, achieving them starts with recognizing them. Once you’ve identified what they are, you can start working backward.
One of the best goal setting practices is setting S.M.A.R.T. goals:
- Specific. Be clear about the exact nature of what you want to accomplish.
- Measurable. Find a way to quantify and track progress toward your goal.
- Attainable. Make sure the goal is realistic and something you can accomplish.
- Relevant. Choose a goal relevant to your career as a travel nurse.
- Timely. Set a timeframe for achieving your goal and hold yourself to it.
Travel nurses who get into a habit of setting S.M.A.R.T. goals for themselves will be on-track for successful achievement. Hold yourself accountable for the things most important to you in the coming year.
Are you ready to work toward your goals?
Once you’ve set goals for yourself, make them a focus in your everyday life. You might not actively engage with them every day, but keeping them at the forefront of your mind will remind you of their importance. Here are a few ways to incorporate your goals into your daily routine:
- Keep a journal or diary for your goals and record your progress toward them.
- Investigate resources and materials necessary for achieving your goals.
- Set mini deadlines as progress points for fulfilling your goals incrementally.
- Find someone with similar goals and work towards them together.
Whether it’s continuing education or updating your certifications, set realistic, attainable goals for yourself this year. And don’t take the easy path. Challenge yourself to become an even better travel nurse this year. It will do wonders for your career.
Why wait? Start today!