Build-your-own chicken fajitas
Fajitas are a great lunch or dinnertime entrée because they are a build-your-own food. If you have kids or you are hosting a dinner party, you can set out an array of ingredients and allow each person to build their own fajitas.
Fajitas might taste great, but they're not always great for you. A dish that could easily be healthy is often made high-calorie with gobs of cheese and sour cream.
Try this recipe for chicken fajitas with some ingredients swapped out for healthier alternatives.
What you'll need:
- Corn tortillas or whole wheat tortillas
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (One chicken breast will make about 3 fajitas)
- Red and yellow bell peppers
- Red onion
- Salsa (I use corn & black bean salsa)
- Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Fat free feta cheese
- Cover the bottom of a medium skillet in olive oil and heat on the stove at medium heat.
- Trim the fat from your chicken breast and cut chicken into strips.
- Rinse bell peppers and slice them into strips lengthwise (you can cut the strips in half if you want them to be smaller).
- Remove outer peel from the red onion and slice desired amount into chunks.
- Add onions and peppers to heated olive oil. Sautee in olive oil with minced garlic until veggies are soft and brown around the edges.
- While your veggies are sautéing, grill chicken breast strips in a skillet on medium heat until cooked through (no longer pink and heated throughout).
- Once veggies and chicken have cooked, layer them on top of tortillas (follow instructions on package for heating your tortillas).
- Next, add salsa, cheese, yogurt, and enjoy!
This is just one recipe option for your fajitas. You might choose to add other toppings such as black beans, lettuce, corn or jalapenos to cater to your own or your guests' taste buds.
No matter what toppings you choose, just remember to stick to the healthy alternatives. These fajitas substitute white flour tortillas for corn or whole-wheat tortillas, full fat cheese for fat free feta cheese, and sour cream for non-fat Greek yogurt. These ingredients are not only better for you, but you might also find that they taste just as good, if not better, than the usual ingredients!